Recently (as in just this morning) I had a wonderful friend send me HER solution to helping with the Gulf oil spill. If you think you can help – please send me an e-mail and I’ll pass it along!
I can’t just sit around and do nothing while this oil spill crisis continues to negatively impact wildlife and the livelihoods of those who live along the Gulf. Thousands of animals are dieing and people are wondering how they are going to support their families. I’ve been trying to think of ways to help, regardless of how small, and while I can’t feasibly, go there personally and help, there is something I can do and with all of your help, I think we could donate an impressive amount of…….Hair!!! Any kind of hair, any length, any color, any texture, even dog hair.
I was checking out some of the smaller scale efforts that are going on and in an effort to soak up as much oil as possible, booms are being made out of panty hose (new or used) stuffed with hair, feathers and fleece.
I will be setting up a box at 2100 M Street NW, Suite 201, Washington DC, 20037 starting next week to collect your donations (please bring them in a sealed bag so no one grosses out. I will coordinate/disseminate as I need to ship it). I will also come and pick up your donations at your office. You can also mail your donations in to this address. In addition, if anyone in any of the other offices would like me to put a box in their office for donations, I will happily do so and collect the contents each Friday.
I will also be soliciting my hair salon to collect their shorn hair for my pick up….in case that gives anyone any ideas. I know this seems like a small effort but I truly believe every little bit helps so even if you have a little pile of hair, bring it in!
Please read the official guidelines for donating below:
– ideally, donate shampoed hair, it doesn’t have to be. Just don’t include filthy hair / fur that has stuff stuck to it.
– any length is fine
– every type of hair is fine (straight, curly, all colors, dyed, permed, straightened…) but only HEAD hair, please! Yes dread locks are ok to send – although we find they have fungus inside when cut open – so please separate in their own bag and mark “DREADS”. They are handled separately. 🙂
– sweep in all clippings, JUST HAIR, but please NO OTHER GARBAGE (gum, metal clips, paper cups, wrappers…)
– remember volunteers (sometimes young students) have to stuff this hair into booms and don’t want to feel garbage or anything sharp
– we also accept washed, used (even with runs) nylon stocking donations in a separate bag, please.
– we also accept fur and other “natural fibers” waste wool, alpaca fleece, horse hair, feathers… again, please, no other garbage or contaminants in with the hair/fur/ fleece fibers… (a handful total per bag of hay and seeds are ok, but no garbage and, of course, absolutely no poo!) Thanks!